Greek English
Home Page / Toponyms
Print this page



Located north of the village. There are some ruined folds here. Shepherds lived here until 1945.


This venue is located close to Karterouni. It took its name from the -now ruined -chapel of Archangel Michael. It is probably an 11 th century structure and of the same era with the "Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis" monastery. The icon of Archangel Michael, which is of excellent artistry and painted on a membrane, was transferred to the village's church.

Agios Georgios.

This location is found close to Karterouni and Archangelos. It owes its name to the -also ruined -country church of St. George. In the village's church one can see the wonderful icon of St. George that was transferred there in 1900 and is a 1779 creation.


This venue took its name from the many olive-trees that were old and had many cavities.

Apotheri -- Apotherka or "Panagia Apotheriotissa".

The name probably came from the last harvesting that the farmers did, the place being the highest point where they planted seeds and so the crops ripened and were cut later than the other ones. This location is found south of the village.

Agia Anna.

This venue is located further north from "Panagia Apotheriotissa". There is a chapel dedicated to St. Anna.

"Mnimata ton Episkopon" (Archbishops' Tombs).

This venue is located south of the village. It has this name because -during the Turkish domination era -the three Metropolitan Bishops of Cyprus were spending their holidays in the "Agios Nikolaso tis Stegis" monastery at the time that the "Karamanoi" (a term referring to people coming from the shores of south Asia Minor) arrived there to loot the place and slaughter the people; the Metropolitan Bishops left the region but the "Karamanoi" caught up with them and killed them in this venue.


It is located close to the Archbishops' Tombs. Asbestos is abundant in this region, the texture of which resembles roughage ("pitera" = bran, roughage). The old timers, not knowing what it was, named the region "Pitera".

Esso Geitonia (Inner Barrio / Neighbourhood).

East of the village there was a neighbourhood with few houses. It was called "Esso Geitonia" because it was quite closer to the mountainside than the rest of the village. This region is also called "tou Pitsilli" (of Pitsillis).

Alignos or Alinos.

Located north of Agios Nikolaos. The word "alinos" -perhaps -came from "linos", which means wine-press. The region was covered with many vines and the wine of Kakopetria was reputable in Cyprus and abroad. Most of the wine-presses were found inside the forest so that the Turks would not see them and demand taxes and so as to avoid unwanted visits from the "Karamanoi" that were in the habit of ransacking.


In the south-west of Esso Geitonia spreads a thick forest named "Skoteini" (dark place / darkness). The name probably came from the thick shadow or darkness that the forest casts.


This location is found a bit back from the Skoteini venue.


Located south-west of Skoteini.


This venue is found south-west of the village and of Agios Nikolaos. It took its name from the many aged and timeworn vines that existed here.


This area close to Apotheri is called "Gefyroudi" because a small bridge was once there.


The forest under the name Siaka spreads between Agios Nikolaos and Gefyroudi. The name probably implies " a mountain casting a shadow".


A region with plenty of wild apple-trees ("pikromiloudi" = small, bitter apple) spreads between Troodos and Pitera.


In this region, located between Pikromiloudi and Kannoura, there is a kiln in which tar from pine resin was produced. This kiln probably belonged to a certain "Atsoupan" or "Atzoupan". (A nickname for a bantam, mischievous or ill-favoured and annoying person).


The Mantra venue -a name that literally means "fold" or "pen" -is found in the south-west side of Troodos. The ruins of an old fold are visible there.


North-west of the Mantra region and close to the Fteritzieri venue there is a steep slope under the name of Chantares. The verb "Chantarizo" (Cypriot dialect) refers to the loud noise made by water as it descends with a great momentum.


This region is located north-west of the Mantra region and is ridden with "fteritzia" (ferns, wild ferns).

"Livadi tou Papafilippou" (Papafilippou's meadow).

East of Chantares there is a meadow-like area.

"Kalyfi tou Kampou".

Located above Apotheri and is a small plain -- lowland. ("Kalyfi" = hut).

Aelas or Aelaes or "Agelades" (cows).

A region located south of the village toward Agios Nikolaos. Evacuations were conducted in this venue in 1938 and an altar / shrine was discovered, upon which there were several earthen statues and pots. In the middle of the altar there was a copper-made cow. The name "Agelades" probably came from this cow.


This venue is located a bit above Aelaes. Many ruins can be seen there. It is believed that some dependency (premises and land) of the "Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis" monastery was located here.


It is an area close to "Mylos tis Gonias". It is not known why it has this name.


Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc